12 Aug Planning Ahead for Hot Weather: Employer Checklist
Use the following checklist to prepare for hot weather and to make sure that all appropriate precautions are in place.
- Develop a list of hot weather supplies (e.g., water, shade devices, etc.). Estimate quantities that will be needed, and decide who will be responsible for obtaining and transportation supplies and checking that supplies are not running low.
- Create and emergency action plan for heat-related illnesses (who will provide first aid and emergency services, if necessary).
- Develop acclimatization schedule for new workers or workers returning from absences longer than one week.
- Identify methods to gain real-time access to important weather forecast and advisory information from the National Weather Service and ensure the information is available at outdoor work site (e.g., laptop computer, cell phone, other internet-ready device, weather radio).
- Determine how weather information will be used to modify work schedules, increase the number of water and rest breaks, or cease work early if necessary.
- Train workers on the risks presented by hot weather, how to identify heat-related illnesses, and the steps that will be taken to reduce the risk.
- Plan to have a knowledgeable person on the worksite who can develop and enforce work/rest schedules and conduct physiological monitoring, when necessary, at high and very high/extreme risk levels for heat-related illness.